In a few weeks I will be teaching my Take The Pain Out Of Counterpane knitting class. It was time to finish another project using my counterpane modules. One third of this project was knitted eight years ago (at the time I came up with the idea for the class). Last week I finally finished the scarf. I ended up making eight squares and twelve rectangles in all.
Yarn And Needles
I hand spun a worsted weight yarn using 50% merino and 50% angora (bunny). The bunny is mine, so I know it is naturally colored. I purchased the gray merino fiber from Jagger Spun and cannot attest to it being natural or dyed. My gut feeling is that it is dyed. The last photo show a close up of the fabric surface because bunny gives the fabric such a wonderful halo.
I started this with size five double points. Looking back, I wish I had used larger. But that is what I started with so that is what I finished with. With the winter we have had in Missouri, thick scarfs are good.
The Nice Design Surprise
I did not realize that the edges of the piece would become scalloped. This just happened as I was sewing (mattress stitch). These scalloped border made the piece for me and I love it. I think the scallops really shine when the scarf is tied. To me, it looks like a jabot.
This photo demonstrates how I first sew two triangles to one square and create the scarf using these larger sections.
|The Angora Halo|
I think this is going to be my comfort scarf. It was cold here this weekend and I had the flu to top it off. I put this warm fuzzy thing around my neck and I just felt better!
For an idea how versatile the square can be, here is my shawl post from September that uses the same square. I just knitted it a lot larger and with lace weight yarn on very large needles.