Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lucienne Day-The Orange Lookbook


Apollo, (detail), late 1950s. Lucienne Day. Manufactured by Heal Fabrics. At the Textile Museum, Washington, D.C  Jill A. Wiltse and H. Kirk Brown III Collection of British Textiles. Courtesy the Textile Museum.
I was thinking about Pantone's color of the year Tangerine Tango and decided I wanted to feature fabric designs by Lucienne Day using orange tones.  I am
just a bit enthusiastic about Day's fabric designs.

Trio-not sure of the date
Foreshore, 1952-this probably leans a bit towards the red orange, but I decided to put it in anyway.


"Springboard furnishing fabric, for Heal's. Screen-printed linen. UK, 1954. "


My first article on Lucienne Day--I hope a decent introduction to her work--can be read here.


A small video clip featuring a recorded conversation with Lucienne Day by Wallpaper magazine can be watched here.



Helix - Manufactured by Thomas Somerset, 1970.

Lucienne Day did cool stuff with fabrics--and by 'cool' I mean inspirational for aspiring artists or designers. A variety of themed features--geometric shapes, colors, foods, organic or botanical shapes--are possible from her work. 

It seems likely I'll be revisiting her work again.


1 comment: