Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Poodle Time!-Sophia's Birthday Brownies

Sophia's birthday brownie is a recipe that can be found in the book Real Food For Dogs. It's a book that I have had for a few years and I think it is one of the better cookbooks for dogs. 

Recipes are vet approved and my dogs seem to really like everything they have tried. This time around, I had to make some changes to the brownie recipe. I will add my changes at the end of the post. 

This is a very good book if you are looking for some options for home made dog food.  I do buy regular dog food, but occasionally like to treat everyone to something special.  

This book can be found at Amazon and you can actually see some of the recipes (including the Bow-Wow Brownie
in Amazon's preview feature.
Bow-Wow Brownies

½ cup vegetable oil (I used Canola)
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup whole wheat flour*
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup carob chips
½ cup carob powder
½ teaspoon baking powder

1.Preheat the oven to 350’ F.
2.In a medium-sized bowl (I used my mixer) blend oil and honey thoroughly using a wooden spoon.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour into a greased 15- by 10-inch baking sheet.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.  I will warn you, it is very bubbly while it is cooking.
6. Let cool, and then frost (I never do) if desired.
7. Cut into bite-size squared and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator


Optional Icing (I don't do the icing)

12 ounces fat-free cream cheese
1  teaspoon honey
1  teaspoon vanilla

1. In a small mixer, blend all three ingredients.
2.Use a spatula to spread the frosting over the pan of cooled brownies.

* I found myself Sunday without any whole wheat flower.  However, I had wheat germ and white rice flower. I used ¼ cup wheat germ and ¾ cup rice flour. I am now thinking about experimenting and making a gluten free brownie.  I would prefer brown rice flower and will look for that next time I go shopping at my health food grocery store. 


Bow-Wow Brownies are Poodle approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment