Thursday, April 26, 2012

Garden Thyme-Hostas, Mason City, and Frank Lloyd Wright









I first fell in love with Hostas in Mason City, Iowa. We were touring the Frank Lloyd Wright Stockman  House, a preserved Usonian house.. All around the property were beautiful huge Hostas with dark blue green leaves.

For years after that, I would buy what ever Hostas Wal-Mart had on sale. Finally, I decided that if I wanted the big blues or "Blue Giants" I would have to search harder. I now have these beauties but it will take a few years for them to reach their full potential.

Hostas have always been faithful plants for me. I ignored them for a few years, and they kept on growing. They don't get ignored anymore. I have about 30 different types. Some I know names of, some I don't. Last fall, I planted some miniatures, Stiletto, Pandora's Box, Little Mouse Ears, and Brimful Cup. I will probably plant more miniatures this fall.


The Stockman House, Mason City, Iowa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terri, Welcome to the blogosphere :-) I like hostas too. I just went outside to see if our sorely neglected ones are up. They are! They are honeybell or something like that and are sun tolerant. If I nurtured them along they could be really nice! I also had some bleeding heart planted with them. We live amongst very large trees that compete with plants. Then you add draught and it makes gardening tricky. Maybe I'll add some bunny manure and see what happens :-)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete