Sunday, May 15, 2016

Vintage, Martinis and Poodles


Ah, to lounge around sipping a great cocktail (preferably one that I have designed), in a comfortable lounging skirt with Poodles by my side. It's great when I do it and I probably don't do it often enough. 


Sophia and I in our matching outfits. That is the advantage of making it yourself. You can always do something with the leftovers.



My skirt is made from a vintage pattern that was in a box of patterns from my Mom. Simplicity 5082 was published in 1972. I don't remember making anything from it and neither does my sister. I have no idea why Mom had it, but I'm glad she did. 

This is a clever pantskirt pattern. The graphic on the front of the pattern demos how to wear it  (down below), and it's just a hoot to wear. 

There is only one pattern piece, but there is loads of fabric in this skirt. It would probably look better if I was a size zero, but I am not, and I love it too much to worry about that kind of stuff. 

What do you think about the fabric I found? I was going for my true Mid-Century vibe for this one and adore this fabric. It came from Hancock Fabrics (now out of business) about five years ago, which was when I put this skirt together. This is just a poly blend, but how this skirt would swish if it was done in silk!

Do you sew and would like this look? This pattern is all over ETSY with prices points anywhere from $5-$10. Just search Simplicity 5082 and tons pop up. I did put a link to the $5 one when I first mentioned the pattern number.



I couldn't do this post without putting in one of my vintage inspirations. This is one stylin' lady in my book. She was included in the first post I ever did about Poodles (before I even had my Poodle Time blog).

Nicky never wants to be left out. He will find a way even if there isn't very much room. He is the baby.

 I did a fly out with the skirt so you could see the pant look underneath and also see all the fabric. You definitely need a lighter blend for this pattern. There's three yards in this skirt. 



I want to give Sophia her own shot on this one. She loves her clothes. I imagine that when she sees them, she thinks she is getting to go somewhere with me. 



Now on to the other elements I chose for this look. I strung the necklace from a great selection of cubed semi-precious stones that I found at a KC bead shop. 

My long-owned and much worn top is 100% cotton and made in the USA by Necessitees. I picked it up at a great shop located in the Brookside area in Kansas City, World's Window. 

My bracelet was picked up at the Kemper Museum of Art's gift shop. Museum gift shops are some of the best places I know to get one of a kind, handcrafted items. What I remember about this bracelet was that it was by a designer from New York, and she made them in her living room. I loved the story and loved the bracelet. 

Finally, a shot of the pattern.


I have to share my cocktail. As I mentioned, I design cocktails from time to time. I usually name them after dogs (OK, so far only Poodles), but I did dedicate one to Taz, our Siamese cat. You can find these above under the Garden Thyme tab.

The Apricot Poodle Cocktail


My aim for cocktails is that they are simple and delicious, so I think this one fits the bill. The key to the deliciousness of The Apricot Poodle is the quality of the Apricot liqueur. At first, I used a cheaper bottle that I had on hand but was so discouraged by the results. 

Then I made a trip to Lucas Liquor in Kansas City on a hunt, and I found the Orchard liqueurs from Austria's Rothman and Winter. One of them was Apricot. It runs around $20 but is so smooth. It would be delicious in deserts too. 

So, on to the drink.............

The Apricot Poodle 

1/2 oz Vanilla Vodka
1 and 1/2 oz Apricot Orchard
2 oz Apricot Juice


Chill one martini glass (of course, this is optional....but I like to).

Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour into a martini glass and serve. Swizzle stick is optional! 

You may notice that I have a love of vintage barware with Poodle themes. If you would like a closer look, click HERE and you will be taken to my Time For Poodles and Friend's blog, which has more photos. 


I will say goodbye for now. Take care until we meet again. I will be back around the same time next week. I usually publish on Sunday afternoons.



This week, I am participating in a few link ups:

Patti's Not Dead Yet Style's Visible Monday HERE, Cherie's  Style Nudge's Shoe and Tell HERE, Catherine's Not Dressed As Lamb's I will Wear What I like HERE, Color and Grace's Link Up Party HERE, Elegantly Dressed and Stylish Turning Heads Tuesday HERE, Shopping My Closet's Style Me Wednesday HERE, Living On Cloud Nine's Style Perspectives HERE, Sydney's Fashion Hunter's Fresh Fashion Forum HERE,   High Altitude Style's Link-Up HERE, Fashion Should Be Fun's Fun Friday Fashion Link Up HERE and Style Diary By Osy's Friday Link Up Party HERE. 


This week, the photographic credits go to Michael, my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment